Monday, January 11, 2016

A Successful Week

This was a super successful week. Last P-Day, to start off, we visited the house of the Perricholi, a historical figure of Huanuco who (almost?) married some king of Spain or other. I had been under the impression she was a princess, with the wishing well, carriage, and little wizard hut, so it was kind of disappointing that she was just romantically linked to some foreigner.

The work week began with divisions, I went to the area of my district leader, while he came to mine. A fresh area makes being a missionary feel new again- you don't have the connections you have in your area, but it's easier to avoid routines.  As the week continued, my companion and I had the most successful week I've had in the mission so far, as far as visiting a great number of people and moving forward with them.

We unearthed a family from one of our little investigators. He's been meeting with us with his aunt, so I was a little worried that when we finally got an opportunity to talk with his mom, she would be suspicious of the missionaries who were trying to convert her eleven-year-old son. Luckily, she's all for it, and wants to be baptized, too, with her other son! Hurray, now we just have to teach them and get them to church! They came this week, which is a great sign. Our little guy is awesome; he's an intelligent, earnest kid with little glasses and a small, happy voice. He can plan like an adult. He stopped me in the doorway after we talked to his mom and reminded me to give him another chapter in the Book of Mormon to read, and asked about the schedules for activities in the church. In church, at the end, he asked timidly when I was going to leave and go back to the States. I paused, knowing that I might be leaving the area this Wednesday, and that our next appointment was Thursday. I explained I wouldn't leave Peru for another year and half, but it was possible that I could go serve somewhere else this week. He asked for my number, Facebook, and mailing address, which broke my heart a little.

In all, it was a good week! Each day was packed tight with lessons, and I feel like we've really become helpers and friends to the people here. We feel a part of the Paucarbamba family. I think I could make my way around the town blindfolded, past the little shop, past the carpenter who always waves and shouts hello, thinking it's hilarious when I shout hello back, away from the church, through the park in which we keep our eyes down to avoid eye contact with the couples on the benches, past the internet service our investigators started, up the way to the other grassy park, and the final parallel streets.

I thought about a scripture in the book of Hebrews this week in chapter 6. In verses 10-12. "For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hoping is active; we keep busy and we understand God isn't just going to forget what we're doing right.  All the same, the scripture says, don't stop. Don't ever stop, content, when there's more to do. President Eyring once noted that after Christ completed the Atonement, he went up to the Spirit world and organized the missionary work up there (1 Peter 3:19). "When my body begs for rest," President Eyring said, "I give to my heart this rallying cry- Remember Him!" So we continue, and we inherit the promises.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.